Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mark 1:16-34

Jesus Begins His Ministry


Jesus calls. He initiates, He reaches out, He seeks. He knows whom He calls. He does not hesitate. When Jesus calls His disciples, He does not think it over first or examines on the basis of performance or qualifications. He knew from the beginning whom He would choose. For He chose even before the creation of the world (Ephesians 1:4).

Jesus saves. He is a miracle doer. He heals. He delivers. He has the authority and power to save not only from physical oppression but from spiritual bondage.

Note this (verse 24-26): The evil spirit recognized Jesus as God (I know who you are - the Holy One of God!); acknowledged his power (Have you come to destroy us?) and submits to his authority—obeys his order (came out of him!) In verse 34: the demons knew who Jesus was.

I ask myself. I ask you. Do we recognize Jesus as God? Do we acknowledge his power? Do we submit to his authority? Could it be that we are worse than the demons? But if we do, yet without faith in him or love to him, still we are no better than the demons.

Do we really know Jesus?

If we do, then we believe that He is the Holy One of God! We believe that He chose us and called us. We believe that He saved us. We experience his love, forgiveness, and transforming grace in our life. We acknowledge his Lordship and authority over us. And we obey and follow him with faith and love when we heard Him say, “Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where in the Bible can I find

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible

BibleGateway.com Include this form on your page